In some relationships, anger can begin to emerge as a common yet serious issue – leading to lingering grudges, frequent fights, emotional distance, and overall disruption.
Experiencing anger in a relationship is not abnormal; disagreements are a part of every couple’s journey, at some point. However, it’s important to deal with it in a positive way, as uncontrolled anger can take a toll on both relationships and health.
Understanding the sources of anger is crucial for restoring peace in your relationship, with some of the more common triggers being insensitive behaviour, stress, unequal responsibilities, and neglected priorities.
Here, we’ve listed some practical steps to managing anger within your relationship:
1. Communication is Key: Open and honest communication is the foundation of any healthy relationship. Take time to express your feelings and listen actively to your partner’s concerns.
2. Take a Timeout: When emotions run high, it’s crucial to take a step back with a timeout to cool off, gather your thoughts, and prevent impulsive reactions.
3. Identify Triggers: Discovering the root causes of your anger is essential. By identifying and addressing underlying triggers, you and your partner can understand and learn to manage your emotions better.
4. Practice Empathy: Putting yourself in your partner’s shoes is a key component to learning how to better resolve conflicts. Our relationship counselling in Newcastle can introduce exercises that promote empathy and encourage a deeper connection between partners.
5. Develop Problem Solving Skills: Instead of dwelling on the problem, focus on finding solutions together. Learning how to collaboratively tackle issues and finding resolutions that work for both parties is key to reducing anger.
6. Learn relaxation techniques: Mindfulness and calming strategies can help you with your anger issues. Working together in trying visualisations, deep breathing exercises, and yoga can help to relax your mind and body.
7. Seek Professional Help: Sometimes, anger management issues are too deeply rooted or challenging to address on your own, and seeking professional help from a therapist can help.
Relationship Counselling Newcastle
At Newcastle Psychologist, our clinical psychologists provide both relationship counselling and anger management, providing a safe and supportive environment for couples to work through their challenges.
Our experienced team of relationship counsellors in Newcastle are here to support you and your partner on your journey towards healthier communication and emotional wellbeing.
Additionally, for those struggling with their individual emotions, we offer anger management in Newcastle that can help you take learn how to take control of your anger.
If you’re ready to take the first step toward a more harmonious relationship and begin couples counselling in Newcastle, fill in the box below or call 07966645198 to speak to a member of our team today.
Dr Stuart Sadler
Lead Clinical Psychologist
Contact us Today